Thursday, June 18, 2009

treasure hunt

One of the BEST things about the summer is treasure hunting. Looking for goodies to use in my art: Old paper, rusty things, stuff to harvest for parts. One never knows what one will find, another man's trash is another man's treasure and I never pass by a "free" pile without the obligatory dig.

Usually, I have at least one kid in tow, a picnic lunch packed and good tunes in the car. If i am lucky I find an estate sale, church rummage sale or neighborhood yard sales those are almost always the best for underrated junk at super low prices. I steer away from the burbs, where people don't know how to price things for yards sales and want $10 for an old Bee Gees LP. When there's nothing to be found yard saling there is always the waterbury flea market, open saturdays and sunday through out the summer. Jackson and I did some treasure hunting on Saturday and I have been delayed in posting our finds. We spent all of $10 that day, and I think we even got creamies. How about that for a cheap date.



2 comments:

sue pelletier said...

i would have scooped it all up! great finds...vermont must be a great yard sale mecca! congrats on the publication!!!(S)

Artsnark said...

wonderful bits! I miss New England yard sales!! Once Fla. discovered ebay, it became mostly plastic toys & tube socks for sale - blech.

Can't wait to see what you do with your new finds