Saturday, March 15, 2008

Women of Courage Round Robin

I'm in my first AB round robin. I've made many altered books, but never done the round robin thing. I'm swapping with 8 other women across the country, over the course of about six months. The theme is Women of Courage, which is really what sucked me into doing it. Strong women, the archetypal feminine is something I am intrigued by, so I signed up as soon as I heard about it. But then it sank in, I didn't have a book in the studio that I wanted to work with and I really had no idea where I wanted to go with it.


I've already got two other AB's going and a visual journal-I've been investing a lot of time to ACEOS/atcs and shrines on Etsy. What was I thinking??? Do I really need one more project going? The answer is YES.


I was at the junk shop in Jonesville today and I found the perfect book- and now I am PUMPED to work on this project. I think it was teach me a lot about the process and help me contact with other artist in my field, so I'm sticking with it!


The book I found is called the Dark Wood, the art on the cover instantly reminded me of a Joan of Arc layout that I did in one of my first books. I was also taken in by the art on the inside cover.
It reminds me of Joan hearing the voice of the angels...The whole Joan of Arc, burning at the stake, witch burning thing hits home for me-I did a whole series of very large collaged canvases on the subject- (I should scan and post the photos that I have) and took a course in college about midwifery and the witch burning craze. So that's my starting point for this AB. Let's see where it takes me...



1 comment:

Christy said...

Waving Hello from a fellow artist on this AB RR for Women of Courage. I am very excited too and I LOVE your book. This is going to be a BLAST!
-Christy