Sunday, April 19, 2015

Wandering..Prairie Farm

     We discovered a  land preserve not far from our house, that we have started to explore on the weekend when we take the dog out for his run. There is a small creek that runs along the property, lined with low brush. The red-wing black birds sing their familiar songs and remind me of the marshy-wet land spaces we left behind in Vermont.


     The colors here are so different though- the spring slowly awaking, not yet green. So, now the raw umber contrasts against the clear blue sky. But as the clouds move  overhead the light can shift rather quickly. 




     
 The monochromatic, dry vegetation inspiring and lovely, I am left thinking about how the sound of the wind in the grass reminds me of the ocean. There is a calmness that comes over me. I need that replenishing force of nature.It leads me to think about a book I read in my final semester at VCFA, Wanderlust, A history of walking, by Rebecca Solnit.   There is a lot to be learned from the land.




No comments: