Tuesday, December 29, 2009

re-entry and discovery

i have been home for about two weeks now. the jet lag has worn off, and every day i feel like i have a little more energy. the re-entry, from being away from my home and family for 2 1/2 weeks was a little more difficult this time.

maybe it is partly the weather; i left balmy Hong Kong at 65 degrees for VT at -2 degrees. or it could be the food or culture or the architecture.

it could be that i spent the majority of my time when i was not working alone in a small, sterile, hotel room, that overlooked that vastness of the city. i think it is independence that is the most difficult to over
come. the time that i had to myself, was priceless. even when i was in cities where the population is unfathomable, i was still alone, with myself. not having to share myself or the space around me with anyone. it may sound selfish, but it was restorative and insulating. i feel like i needed a little of that. coming back to my life the way i left after thanksgiving was a challenge. taking care of everyone, making meals, doing laundry, etc, etc.... i felt bogged down my the mundane. held back by all the stuff that has to get done.

so now, the cleansing and the de-clutter has begun. i've taken the week off from work. day by day, i pick away at the accumulations of belongings, sweeping out dust bunnies, creating bags of donations for goo
dwill, posting on free-cycle. i am moving out all the things in my life that don't work, don't fit, and taking up space. so perhaps i have started my new year already. i was done with 2009, anyway....

No comments: